Update on State Convention Delegates
Dear Hays County Democrats,
I wanted to take a moment to give you the latest information about the status of delegates for the upcoming state convention so everyone has a clear picture of what to expect in the near future. But first I would like to begin with a quick recap.
HCDP County Convention Summary
At the virtual Hays County Democratic Party County Convention on March 21, the county party took the following two actions:
- The Nominations Committee began the process of creating a delegate list for the state convention from those Democrats who preregistered online for the county convention.
- The Resolutions Committee compiled resolutions received by email and submitted them to the Texas Democratic Party’s Temporary Resolutions Committee for consideration at the state convention. The full list of resolutions submitted to the Texas Democratic Party are available to download by clicking the button below.
I want to offer a big thanks to everyone who helped put on our virtual county convention, including Linda Rodriguez, Diana Robinson, Lacy Waller, Bert Garza, Nick Hoover and David Doerr.
If you missed the virtual convention, please click on the button below to watch a replay.
TDP State Convention and Delegate List
On Thursday, March 26, the Texas Democratic Party announced in an email from Chair Gilberto Hinojosa that a virtual state convention will replace the in-person convention that was previously planned for San Antonio on June 4–6.
The Texas Democratic Party also recently sent out emails that have caused some confusion about the status of who will serve as our delegates to the state convention. If someone received an email that said they were a state delegate, please know that these emails were sent prematurely because the county parties are still working to finalize the list of delegates. TDP officials have apologized about their emails causing confusion.
I have heard from others who are concerned because they have not yet received an email confirming that they have been designated as a state delegate. Again, that is because county parties are still working to finalize their lists. We will send the first draft of our list to TDP by Wednesday, April 1. If anyone is inadvertently not on our state delegate list, please know that we can make additions until April 20.
We will send an email to everyone who is on our list of state delegates so they have a confirmation from us. Anyone who wants to serve as a state delegate but does not receive the confirmation email, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org by April 12.
If you want to apply for a position on the State Democratic Executive Committee (SDEC) or be an Elector or a National Convention delegate, visit TxDem.co/delegates for a list of links and helpful resources.
These are the big takeaways everyone should know:
- If you preregistered as a delegate using the online TDP form, you ARE a delegate, even if you haven’t yet received a confirmation email.
- The State Democratic Executive Committee (SDEC) will meet in April to set new emergency rules, a new date for the virtual state convention AND a new deadline for presidential candidate preference designations.
- Please understand that we are breaking new ground as we adjust to the reality and necessity of a virtual convention. The county party will notify everyone of their delegate status once the list is finalized, as required by TDP.
If you have questions, email us at email@example.com, and we will directly answer your questions.
We appreciate your patience. We are DEMOCRATS, we are strong, and we will prevail!
Chair, Hays County Democratic Party