Take Action: Help Block Republicans’ Gerrymandered Maps
The Republican members of the Commissioners Court intend to ram through their extreme partisan maps tomorrow, Tuesday, November 9.
- Blatantly pack minority populations into Precinct 1 and Anglo populations into Precincts 3 & 4, while reducing Hispanic voters in Precinct 2.
- Overpopulate Precincts 1 & 2 in BOTH maps, insuring the votes in “minority” precincts carry less weight than the votes in Anglo heavy precincts,
- Slice up multiple communities of interest including dozens of existing voting precincts and the City of Kyle, which under the Commissioners map would be served by three different precincts (vs two precincts under the balanced M9 Map), and
- Construct a massive Precinct 3 that covers more than half the landmass of Hays County.
- Retains Precinct 1 as the traditional minority opportunity precinct,
- Creates a new majority minority Hispanic precinct in Precinct 2.
- Creates boundaries based on clean, rational lines, such as rivers, creeks and major thoroughfares,
- Keeps existing communities of interest together to the greatest possible degree (such as Hispanic communities east of the I-35 corridor, high-growth areas of Buda and Dripping Springs, and Texas State University), and
- Draws non-gerrymandered, compact precincts that keeps geographical neighbors together.